- T4 contains 4 iodine molecules and acts as a pro-hormone for T3. 80% of your thyroid hormones are T4.
- T3 contains 3 iodine molecules and is an active thyroid hormone. 20% of your thyroid hormones are T3, and T3 is 5-7 times stronger than T4.
These hormones are responsible for maintaining heathy, balanced thyroid function.
Thyroid and stress hormones
Your endocrine system contains many glands that produce hormones to help maintain the healthy functioning of other body systems including your reproductive, stress, sugar metabolism and appetite control function. The endocrine system is linked together, for example, the release of cortisol during a stressful event has an impact on the thyroid gland and thyroid hormones.
Support healthy thyroid function with:
- Withania is an adaptogenic herb that supports the adrenal glands and helps your body adapt or cope during times of physical and mental stress. See more here: add website Thyroid Support link here. Withania, is also an Ayurvedic tonic herb traditionally used to restore vitality during debilitation, stress and exhaustion. See more here: Herbs of Gold Stress Ease.
- Iodine helps maintain the body's metabolic rate through the production of thyroid hormone and is an important component of T4 and T3. Iodine is required to produce thyroid hormones and helps to maintain healthy thyroid function. See more here: Herbs of Gold Thyroid Support.
- Selenium is required to produce thyroid hormones and helps maintain healthy thyroid function. Selenium is an important trace mineral needed for the conversion of T4 into the active thyroid hormone T3 via selenium based enzymes (iodothyronine deiodinase). Deficiency of this enzyme results in reduced conversion of T4 to T3. See more here: Herbs of Gold Selenium 150 MAX.
- Zinc is important for healthy thyroid function as it’s needed to produce T4 (thyroxine) via zinc dependant enzymes and a deficiency of these enzymes may affect the production of thyroid hormones.
- Tyrosine is required to produce thyroid hormones and helps maintain healthy thyroid function and normal metabolic rate. See more here: add website Tyrosine 1000 link here. Tyrosine is also an essential precursor to hormones that regulate stress responses.