It’s estimated that on average, around 50% of males over the age of 50 will experience lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) related to the prostate gland, and the incidence of LUTS increases by 10% with each decade of life.
The prostate gland is a walnut sized gland located between the penis and bladder. It functions to secrete a protective fluid that helps to support and maintain healthy sperm and semen. The urethra, a narrow tube that runs through the middle of the prostate gland, serves to remove semen and urine from the body.
As men age, hormonal changes may impact the conversion of testosterone, the main male sex hormone, into a more potent form known as dihydrotestosterone (DHT), due to increased activity of an enzyme known as 5-alpha reductase. Increased 5-alpha reductase activity is thought to be the mechanism that leads to changes in the prostate gland and the subsequent development of LUTS in men.
Symptoms of LUTS include:
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder
- Increased urinary frequency
- Increased urinary urgency
- Weak urinary stream
- Urinary intermittency
Herbs and nutrients for prostate health
- Flowens™ is a unique, proprietary blend of Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) whole fruit powder that has a distinctive, full spectrum of phytochemicals. It’s the synergy of the full spectrum of phytochemicals that has been found to support and maintain healthy, normal prostate function. See Herbs of Gold Prostate Pro
- Phytopin® is a natural and pure beta-sitosterol extract containing high-quality phytosterols, produced from Pinus pinaster tree oil. Beta-sitosterols bind to the prostate gland, helping to relieve urinary tract symptoms associated with LUTS in mature or ageing men.
- Zinc plays a role in maintaining male reproductive health, where it is important for the normal functioning of the prostate gland. Zinc is also an antioxidant that acts as a free radical scavenger. See Herbs of Gold Ultra Zinc +
- Selenium is required for testosterone production and may assist in the healthy functioning of the prostate gland and male reproductive health. Selenium is also an antioxidant that acts as a free radical scavenger. See Herbs of Gold Selenium 150 MAX