Children and URTI’s
Mild URTI’s are the most common form of illness in children, averaging between 6-8 mild URTI’s each year, particularly in winter. When children are young, their immune systems are still trying to build the resistance to fight off infection and disease. As they become exposed to environments such as day care and school, their risk of developing a cold or flu increases.
Viral infections don’t require antibiotics
Viral infections don’t require antibiotics. Antibiotics are only effective when treating bacterial infections. So, what can you do to help relieve cold and flu symptoms and support healthy immune function? Herbs and nutrients can play an important role in winter health, in conjunction with eating healthy food and getting enough rest.
- Adhatoda is traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine for the relief of fevers, and as an expectorant, to relieve mucus congestion, and as an antispasmodic, for the relief of respiratory complaints, including coughs. Adhatoda provides anti-inflammatory activity with bronchodilation properties that dilate air passages and facilitate breathing. See Lung Care.
- Andrographis is considered an ‘acute’ herbal remedy, traditionally used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine to relieve fever and to help reduce the severity, duration and symptoms of the common cold. Andrographis helps relieve a sore throat and runny nose associated with mild URTI’s, including colds and flu. See Cold & Flu Strike
- Echinacea helps maintain healthy immune function and is traditionally used for the relief of cold symptoms such as a runny or stuffy nose, itchy or sore throat, cough, congestion, sneezing and mild body aches and pains. See Children’s Cold Care. Echinacea may reduce the severity and duration of colds and flu. See Echinacea 4000 Complex. For maximum benefit, start taking immediately at the onset of acute symptoms.
- Elderberry has traditionally been used to relieve fever and to provide relief of the symptoms of colds, flu and mild URTI’s. See Elderberry, Echinacea & Olive Leaf.
- Ivy leaf is a well-known expectorant cough remedy that helps to relieve coughs and is used to expel and relieve respiratory and chest mucous congestion.
- Marshmallow provides a soothing and protective coating over the respiratory tract mucous membranes and is traditionally used to soothe and relieve irritation and inflammation of the upper respiratory tract and throat. This activity helps to clear inflammation of the mucous membranes (catarrh) and to soothe and relieve coughs.
- Vitamin D helps maintain a healthy immune system. A significant number of Australians are considered deficient in vitamin D, particularly in winter, due to reduced sun exposure and dietary intake. See Vitamin D3 1000.
- Zinc & Vitamin C are required for the healthy functioning of the immune system. Zinc may assist in the management of mild URTI’s and helps to provide relief from the symptoms of colds, as well as reduce the severity of colds. See Zinc Forte + C.