Ubiquinol & ubidecarenone: Two forms of coQ10
Ubiquinol and ubidecarenone are two forms of the same essential nutrient, coQ10. Ubidecarenone needs to be converted to ubiquinol in the body before it can be utilised for a therapeutic effect. Bioavailability of ubidecarenone is heavily reliant on absorption within the small intestine. The ability to convert ubidecarenone to ubiquinol declines as part of the ageing process, which over time, may lead to a coQ10 deficiency. Ubiquinol reportedly achieves greater bioavailability than ubidecarenone, using a smaller daily dose, and some texts suggest bioavailability is up to eight times greater than ubidecarenone.
Which is the right coQ10 for me?
Ubiquinol and ubidecarenone both have an important role to play in health and wellbeing:
- Over 40 years of age - while coQ10 is naturally found in every cell of the body, it’s ubiquinol that provides a greater therapeutic benefit for those over the age of 40, or those who need support for cardiovascular health as ubiquinol helps maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. See more here.
- Under 40 years of age - ubidecarenone is highly beneficial for health and wellbeing in this age bracket, or those who need support for stamina and endurance during physical exercise and post-exercise recovery, or to support healthy sperm in healthy males.
Health benefits of coQ10:
- Plays a vital role in all energy-dependant processes of the body so helps maintain healthy energy production.
- Physical exercise increases the body's demand for coQ10, so coQ10 supplementation can help support stamina and endurance, and assist post-exercise recovery. See more here.
- Helps maintain heart health, and a healthy circulatory system. CoQ10 is found in high concentrations in the heart muscle where energy demand is high. See more here.
- Potent fat-soluble antioxidant and free radical scavenger that supports the antioxidant network in the body be regenerating the oxidised form of vitamin E back to its original antioxidant form.
- Helps maintain healthy cell membranes, cell membrane integrity and cell functioning. See more here.
- May reduce the frequency of mild migraines. See more here.
- Maintains and supports healthy sperm in healthy males by supporting healthy sperm motility.