If you love a colourful salad, then this salad is for you. The earthy sweetness of beetroot combines so well with the tart creaminess of the goat’s cheese and the toffee crunch of walnuts. Serve alone or match with any of your other favourite foods.
- 2 bunches baby beetroot, trimmed
- Olive oil, to grease
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster or coconut sugar
- 55g (1/2 cup) walnut halves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 bunches rocket leaves
- 80g goat's cheese, crumbled
- 60mLs (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
What to do
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Use a fork to prick beetroot. Place on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool. Peel and halve.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Brush a wire rack with oil. Place over tray. Place the sugar in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, tilting pan occasionally, for 4 minutes or until sugar melts. Stir in walnuts to coat. Pour onto rack and separate walnuts. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 30 minutes to set.
- Combine the rocket and beetroot in a serving bowl. Top with goat’s cheese and walnuts. Combine oil and vinegar in a jug and drizzle over the salad.