- 5 cups of cooked black rice (I used Forbidden Black Rice)*
- 1/2 cup of chopped dill
- 1/2 cup of chopped mint
- 1 cup of chopped shallots
- 1 cup of sultanas
- 1/3 cup of toasted pepitas
- 800g of Kent pumpkin, skin on and deseeded, cut into medium chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp of EVOO*
- 2 tbsp of greek yoghurt*
- 1/2 tsp of sumac
- 3 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Transfer pumpkin to the tray and then toss with olive oil and salt and paper. Pop in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until caramelised and soft to touch. Leave aside to cool.
- Make dressing: combine all ingredients and shake vigorously in a jar until well combined.
- In a bowl, add the rice, dill, mint, shallots, sultanas and pepitas.
- Pour over the dressing and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl or a serving platter and dot with pumpkin chunks.
- Garnish with extra herbs and nuts/seeds, and then serve!
Notes & Modifications:
Rice: you could easily substitute with brown or red rice. Whole-grain rice varieties work best in this salad. Just a rule of thumb: 1 cup of black rice yields approximately 3 cups of cooked black rice. Therefore, for this recipe, you'll need to use approximately 1 3/4 cups of rice. Check the back of the packet for cooking instructions.
EVOO = Extra virgin olive oil.
Yoghurt: to make it vegan, substitute with coconut yoghurt.
Sourced from Nourished By You