You've worked hard all day, it's getting late and you're hungry. Satisfy your hunger with this easy Cheesy Mushroom Baked Egg recipe, full of eggy protein and fresh herbs with some medicinal Shiitake mushrooms for a nice immune boost.
- 2 tbsps butter
- 100g Shiitake mushrooms (or mushroom of choice), wiped clean and coarsely chopped (about 1½ to 2 cups)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1½ tbsps heavy cream
- 40g Emmental cheese (or any Swiss cheese you like), shredded (about a cup)
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 tsps minced fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Toast, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C (190C fan-forced).
- Add butter to a medium skillet over medium heat; once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until softened, but not browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Stir in the cream and turn off the heat.
- Pour the mushrooms into an individual-sized oven-safe gratin dish and sprinkle the cheese on top. Make 2 wells and crack the eggs into them.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the eggs are cooked how you like them – around 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top, and serve immediately.