These delicious Chocolate Truffles are a healthy take on the traditional Ferrero Rocher chocolates, minus the refined sugar, gluten and not so nice fats. They make a super healthy treat packed full of heart healthy good fats and contain a plethora of nutrients such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc.
- 1 cup raw mixed nuts
- 1 cup pitted, chopped medjool dates
- 4 tbsps raw cacao powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsps cacao nibs
- Water – enough to make the mixture sticky
- 12 whole raw hazelnuts (de-shelled)
- For decorating:
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 180g dark chocolate (choose vegan chocolate if desired)
What to do
- Place the raw mixed nuts in a food processor (not the hazelnuts) and process until a crunchy meal. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the dates and mix well. Stir in the cacao powder, sea salt and cacao nibs. Add the water gradually, stirring to combine until the mixture is sticky and can clump together to form balls.
- Roll into balls and place one hazelnut in the centre of each ball so that the hazelnut is buried in the centre of each ball.
- Roll the balls in the remaining cacao nibs. Place in the fridge to firm for 1 hour.
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl and place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Allow the chocolate to melt and remove from the heat.
- Using a cocktail stick dip the balls in the chocolate and place on a tray.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (they never last long in my house). Wrap in baking paper and store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.