Eggplant, Tofu and Sugar Snap Peas with Ginger and Soy dressing combines smoky eggplant with crunchy sugar snap peas and asparagus, complimented by silky smooth tofu for some plant-based protein. Bringing all the elements together are warming ginger, garlic and sesame oil for some Asian inspired flavour.
- 1 eggplant, quartered lengthways, then each quarter halved diagonally
- 300gm sugar snap peas
- 340gm asparagus, trimmed and thickly sliced diagonally
- 600gm silken tofu, cut into 4cm cubes
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil or other neutral oil
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- Snow pea tendrils, to serve
Ginger & soy dressing
- 60mLs (¼ cup) light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps rice wine vinegar
- 2 large tbsps pickled ginger, finely chopped
- Pinch of coconut sugar
- 1 spring onion, cut into julienne
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds, plus extra to serve
WHAT TO DO
- Steam eggplant until tender (12-15 minutes), then tear into smaller pieces.
- For ginger and soy dressing, whisk soy sauce, vinegar and ginger in a bowl, then stir in sugar, spring onion and sesame seeds.
- Blanch peas and asparagus in a large pan of boiling salted water (2-3 minutes). Drain, refresh in iced water, then drain again. Pat dry with paper towels, then place in a bowl with eggplant and tofu. Add dressing, season to taste, and toss gently to coat.
- Heat oils in a saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat, add garlic and stand for 1 minute to infuse. Spoon garlic oil over salad, scatter with pea tendrils and top with sesame seeds to serve.