Leeks take centre stage here providing a subtle onion-like flavour that offsets the delicious and tangy blue cheese flavour while the walnuts add a nice nutty flavour and crunchy texture. Garlic provides a nice immune boost too. Don’t like blue cheese? Add you favourite cheese instead. Serve hot or cold.
- 200g bacon rashers (nitrite-free if possible), rind trimmed, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 150g creamy blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- flat-leaf parsley leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a rectangular 8-cup baking dish.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook for 8 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add leek and cook for 8 minutes or until softened but not coloured. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs, milk and flour together in a large bowl. Add bacon, leek and cheese. Season to taste. Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 45 minutes or until set. Slice and serve sprinkled with parsley.
Recipe sourced from woolworthes