- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup (65g) small pasta shells
- 60g baby spinach, finely shredded
- ⅓ cup (90g) basil pesto
WHAT TO DO
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens.
Add the diced tomato and stir to combine. Add the stock and tomato paste and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 mins or until the soup thickens slightly.
Add the borlotti beans and pasta shells to the tomato mixture in the pan and cook for 8 mins or until pasta is al dente. Add the spinach and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Season.
Ladle the soup evenly among serving bowls. Top with pesto.
Serve with shaved parmesan and sourdough toast
Recipe from Taste.com