Start off those mornings with this Warm Chia Porridge, flavoured with aromatic cinnamon and sweet pears. A great way to start your day with protein, fibre, antioxidants and healthy fats to keep your energy levels up.
- 2 small beurre bosc pears, cut into small chunks with the skin
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil, olive oil or butter
- 1 1/2 cups of milk (your choice almond, rice, coconut etc)
- 1/4 cup white chia seeds
- 1 tsp golden flaxseeds
- Coconut milk or yoghurt to drizzle
- Combine chia seeds, flaxseeds and 1 cup of milk into a bowl and mix until combined.
- Rest for 5 minutes and mix again – you can do this the night before you need it, otherwise allow 15 minutes for the chia to absorb the milk to thicken.
- Heat coconut oil in a small heavy-based pan.
- Add pears and cinnamon and cook over a medium heat for 5–10 minutes until golden and softened.
- Divide the pan roasted pear between 2 serving bowls.
- Heat the chia porridge in a pot over a medium heat and add the rest of the milk. You can add more milk at this stage to get the consistency you like or even add any of your other favourite aromatics.
- Spoon porridge over the roasted pears. Add extra hot milk or a spoonful of coconut milk or yoghurt.
- Garnish with a dusting of cinnamon or even an oven roasted or poached pear, and for a little crunch, you can also add roasted almonds or macadamia nuts.