If you’ve had problems with your skin, it doesn’t matter whether you’re young or old, a man or a woman, you can achieve vibrant, healthy looking skin by providing the right building blocks. We’ll let you in on our top 5 nutrients for vibrant healthy skin.
How to achieve vibrant healthy skin
Everyone wants to have fabulous, vibrant, healthy looking skin. It’s one of the first things we notice about each other and its appearance can either make or break your confidence. Whether it’s breakouts, allergies, or fine lines and wrinkles that are a cause for concern, there’s one common denominator that’s important for healthy looking skin and that’s making sure you have the right building blocks.
Your skin reflects your health
The appearance of your skin is a good indicator of your overall health and reflects the state of your whole body. If there’s one thing we know about clear healthy skin, it’s more than just skin deep. Everyday factors, from the foods you eat, your hair and body products, pollution, sun exposure, smoking and stress can all impact how your skin looks and feels.
3 important building blocks
Your skin provides a hard-wearing barrier between your internal and external environment, much like a waterproof bodysuit that’s flexible, washable, resists wrinkles, keeps its shape and lasts a life time. Skin is made up of two main layers; the epidermis or outer layer is made up of keratin and the dermis or inner layer is made up of collagen and elastin.
- Keratin provides a tough protective coating which acts as physical barrier for your skin, helping to protect all the underlying structures in your body, including the dermis. This is why you don’t dissolve in the bath!
- Collagen provides flexible strength and firmness by attracting and binding water, helping to keep your skin well hydrated and ‘plumped-up’ so effectively pushes out and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Elastin provides ‘elastic’ properties, allowing your skin to stretch and bounce back to its original shape. When you smile or laugh, elastin allows your skin to stretch and then bounce back into shape once you’ve stopped smiling or laughing.
Our top 5 nutrients for vibrant healthy skin
- Collagen supplementation boosts collagen levels by replenishing lost or declining levels to ‘plump-up’ and hydrate skin for smooth, firm and youthful skin. https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/hair-skin-nails/collagen and https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/hair-skin-nails/collagen-gold
- Silica is found in abundance in the skin and is essential for keratin production and the cross-linking of collagen, so it helps maintain healthy skin and skin elasticity. Together, keratin and collagen help maintain the strength, integrity and elasticity of your skin. https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/hair-skin-nails/bio-silica and https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/hair-skin-nails/ultra-silica-complex
- Zinc is an important antioxidant which protects against free radicals and supports normal skin structure and wound healing. Zinc is essential for the formation of collagen, connective tissue and the maintenance of healthy skin. https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/hair-skin-nails/ultra-silica-complex
- Vitamin C provides antioxidant protection, is essential in several steps required for collagen production and helps to prevent the breakdown of existing collagen. Vitamin C is also required for the production of elastin and firm connective tissue. https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/hair-skin-nails/collagen-gold
- Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger. Free radical damage contributes to the formation of fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/antioxidants/resveratrol-advantage