Grape seed extract, derived from Vitis vinifera, provides considerable antioxidant activity. Grape seed provides a rich source of oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs), which are responsible for many of its health-giving benefits.
Free radicals and oxidation
Free radicals are formed by a chemical reaction known as oxidation. Think of an apple slice that quickly turns brown – this is oxidation in action. Free radicals are unstable, electrically charged molecules that gain stability by stealing electrons from other molecules such as proteins, DNA or cell membranes.
Oxidation is a natural reaction within the body, but when increased oxidation occurs, important components of cells may become damaged and lose their ability to function normally. Continued oxidative damage can eventually lead to the death of cells. Oxidation has been linked to many health conditions and contributes to the ageing process.
Antioxidants can be found in nutrients from fresh foods, and phytochemicals found in plants, particularly seeds and bark, where they help to combat free radical damage by donating one of their electrons to the unstable free radical molecule, inhibiting the oxidation process and helping to prevent cell damage.
Antioxidants help to reinforce your body’s antioxidant network to protect against free radical and oxidative damage. Once the antioxidant donates an electron to the free radical, it then becomes unstable itself. Many antioxidants have the ability to regenerate and recycle themselves back to their original antioxidant form. Antioxidants love working together and often interact with each other to provide a higher level of antioxidant protection than a single antioxidant alone.
Grape seed and OPCs
Grape seed is a powerful antioxidant, mainly due to its OPC content. OPCs from Grape seed counteract the negative effects of free radical damage in the body. Grape seed has demonstrated effective antioxidant activity in both in-vitro and in-vivo studies, showing significantly greater antioxidant effects than vitamins C, E and betacarotene.
Health benefits of Grape seed:
- Supports healthy veins, blood vessels and microcirculation, including in peripheral areas, such as the hands, feet and legs in healthy individuals
- Helps to relieve swelling, heaviness and tingling of the legs in healthy individuals by strengthening collagen and stabilising the capillary walls. Weak capillary walls allow fluids to permeate or ‘leak’ from the veins into the tissues. See more here https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/antioxidants/grape-seed-gold
- Helps maintain heart health and a healthy cardiovascular system
- Helps to protect and maintain eye health and helps eyes adapt to variations in light intensity
- Helps maintain healthy skin and assists in the process of skin healing and repair. See more here https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/womens-health/womens-multi
- Provides antioxidant support for the maintenance of good health