If you’re taking fish oil, it’s important to know about the quality and sustainability of the fish oil, and also which fish oil provides you with the best health benefits and value for money.
Quality and sustainability
Herbs of Gold prides itself on the quality of our pharmaceutical grade fish oils, and complies with every industry standard for heavy metals, environmental pollutants and oxidative markers. Every batch of fish oil is tested for these markers.
Stringent quality controls are in place, right from the raw material through to the finished product, and the fish oil is kept fresh and stabilised by nitrogen blanketing which removes oxygen, cold processing and the addition of natural vitamin E, the most potent fat-soluble antioxidant.
Our fish oils are manufactured in Australia and New Zealand under Good Manufacturing Practices, the same quality framework used to regulate pharmaceutical drugs. Our fish oils are all sourced from sustainable fisheries that use eco-friendly fishing techniques to prevent by-catch of birds and other marine animals.
Small, wild, cold-water fish species such as sardines, herrings, anchovies, mackerel and pilchards are used as they have especially low environmental impurities and they naturally contain higher levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the main therapeutic compounds found in fish oil. Every batch is also tested for the EPA and DHA standardisation.
Benefits of EPA & DHA
- May assist in the management and symptomatic relief of mild dermatitis and dry or inflamed skin conditions
- Help to maintain heart health and a healthy cardiovascular system
- May provide symptomatic relief and assist in the management of menstrual pain
- DHA is an important structural component of the eye retina
- Pregnant women have increased requirements for EPA and DHA. Maternal omega-3 supplementation may be beneficial during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Sufficient levels of EPA and DHA are required for normal development of the baby
- DHA is important during pregnancy for healthy brain, eye and vision development
- DHA is an important structural component of the brain and is required for normal brain function and the maintenance of cognitive function in older adults
- EPA and DHA may provide temporary pain relief for mild arthritis and may help to increase joint mobility and reduce joint swelling, inflammation and morning stiffness associated with mild arthritis
- Support the development of the brain, eyes and nerves in children up to 12 years of age
Standard fish oil vs concentrated fish oil
A standard fish oil supplement such as Fish Oil 1000 contains 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per capsule which is ideal for everyday general health and wellbeing, or for those not eating the recommended 2 serves of oily fish per week.
Concentrated fish oils such as Omega-3 Concentrate provide much higher levels of EPA and DHA.
Higher levels of EPA and DHA can be achieved through a 2-3 step molecular distillation process that concentrates the EPA and DHA, providing greater purification that also helps to make the fish oil odourless.
For general health and health maintenance, try Fish Oil 1000 or Fish Oil 1700, and during pregnancy, or to provide symptomatic relief for specific health conditions, it makes more sense from a health and value for money perspective to take a concentrated fish oil such as Omega-3 Concentrate.