Dealing with chronic stress
Chronic stress appears to be the new ‘normal’, and when you’re chronically stressed, relentless cortisol (your main stress hormone) production continues to drive overactivity of your nervous system and creates imbalances between neurotransmitters (brain chemical messengers) that help keep you calm and relaxed.
The ill-effects of chronically elevated cortisol can be felt throughout your whole body until finally, your adrenal glands become exhausted, leaving you tired and unable to mount any stress response at all. Problems associated with chronic stress include mild anxiety and sleeplessness.
The drivers of chronic stress are best managed by regulating cortisol release through adrenal gland support. Traditional herbs that provide support for chronic stress include:
- Rhodiola is an adaptogenic herb, typically standardised to contain the active components, salidroside and rosavin, which may enhance physical and mental performance during times of stress and fatigue. Adaptogenic herbs help the body resist physical, mental and emotional stressors while helping the body ‘adapt and cope’ with stress.
- Withania is an adaptogenic and Ayurvedic tonic herb, traditionally used to restore vitality during debilitation, stress and exhaustion.
- Licorice is traditionally used as an adrenal tonic which helps to maintain the tone and function of the adrenal glands.
See more here: Stress Ease Adrenal Support.
Getting a good night’s sleep
Your quality of sleep can affect the way you look, feel and behave so it’s important to get a good night’s sleep. High levels of cortisol at night can lead to restlessness, making it difficult to fall asleep, stay asleep or a combination of both. Around 20% to 35% of Australian children, teenagers and adults find getting a good night’s sleep an issue. Even after one night of disrupted sleep, you can look and feel tired. Traditional herbs that help relieve sleeplessness include:
- Ziziphus is traditionally used in Chinese medicine as a sedative for the relief of sleeplessness.
- Passionflower is traditionally used to relieve sleeplessness and restlessness due to nervous stress.
- Californian poppy is traditionally used as a sedative to relieve sleeplessness and nervousness.
See more here: Sleep Ease.
Most of us will experience mild anxiety briefly at one time or another during our lifetime. Feeling anxious is a normal body response to a stressful event when we anticipate impending danger or dread. Traditional herbs that help relieve mild anxiety include:
- KSM-66® is a unique, full spectrum extract of Withania standardised to >5% withanolides. Withania is traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine to help relieve the symptoms of mild anxiety and to help the body adapt to stress.
- Lavender helps relieve the symptoms of mild anxiety.
See more here: Anxiety Ease.